God made Adam in his image and likeness but what is that image? God is an infinite being and has many communicable and non-communicable characteristics such as creativity, vision, passion, ability to love, mercy. Could the image of God actually include what He looks like? The verses interpreted literally will surprise you!
THE IMAGE OF GOD
Ezekiel's Vision of God
And above the firmament over their heads was the likeness of a throne, in appearance like a sapphire stone; on the likeness of the throne was a likeness [k'mareh כְּמַרְאֵ֥ה] with the appearance of a man [adam אָדָ֛ם] high above it.
• Also from the appearance of His waist and upward I saw, as it were, the color of amber [electricity] with the appearance of fire all around within it; and from the appearance of His waist and downward I saw, as it were, the appearance of fire with brightness all around ...This was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the LORD. (Ezekiel 1:26-28).
Prophets Seeing God
• I saw the Lord sitting on a throne, high and lifted up, and the train of His robe filled the temple, (Isaiah 6:1).
• I watched till thrones were put in place, and the Ancient of Days was seated; His garment was white as snow, and the hair of His head was like pure wool. His throne was a fiery flame, its wheels a burning fire, (Daniel 7:9).
Bodies of Light
• "and He was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun, and His clothes became as white as the light ." (Matt 17:2)
• Then the righteous will shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. He who has ears to hear, let him hear! (Matthew 13:43)
• Those who are wise shall shine Like the brightness of the firmament, And those who turn many to righteousness Like the stars forever and ever. (Daniel 12:3)
• "it was granted her to clothe herself with fine linen, bright and pure - for the fine linen is the righteous deeds of the saints." (Revelation 19:8 ESV)
Moses' Shining Face
Now it was so, when Moses came down from Mount Sinai [...] that Moses did not know that the skin of his face shone while he talked with Him. So when Aaron and all the children of Israel saw Moses, behold, the skin of his face shone, and they were afraid to come near him... (Exodus 34:29-30, 33).
Destroyed From the Lord's Presence
• the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with His mighty angels, in flaming fire taking vengeance on those who do not know God, and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. These shall be punished with everlasting destruction from [by virtue of] the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power, (2 Thessalonians 1:7-9)
• He shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb. (Revelation 14:10)
• For Tophet [was] established of old, Yes, for the king [c.f. Isa 14:5, Ezekiel 28:12] it is prepared. He has made [it] deep and large; Its pyre [is] fire with much wood; The breath of the LORD, like a stream of brimstone, Kindles it. (Isaiah 30:33)
• Now if anyone builds on this foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, (1 Corinthians 3:12) each one's work will become clear; for the Day will declare it, because it will be revealed by fire; and the fire will test each one's work, of what sort it is. (1 Corinthians 3:13) If anyone's work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward. (1 Corinthians 3:14) If anyone's work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire. (1 Corinthians 3:15)